Sunday, February 12, 2017

Choosing JOY

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for not writing in so long! It's been a bit of a roller coaster few months! It's hard for me to believe that it's been nearly six months since my last post!

What's new with us? Well, we have been blessed, but I will be honest and say that I'm not too sorry to see 2016 end. Last September, we received a call from the agency asking if we would be willing to be presented to a birth mother who had recently had twins. We knew that it was only a possibility, but our hearts were hopeful as we waited for the news about whether or not we would be the ones chosen to take care of those sweet little babies. Unfortunately, the situation did not go as expected, and the children were placed with social services. It was another hard blow, but not nearly as hard or bad as what happened last March.

However, other than that, we have had a plentiful few months. Joe has had enough work that I have been able to quit working full-time. I am now substitute teaching for the Glendive school district, and I'm able to be off of work by the time that Lydia gets off of school, which has made it much easier for me to help Lydia do her schoolwork and spend more time together.

That being said, we got a phone call just over a week ago about a possible match. We were called because the situation was a difficult one, and we had to know all of the issues before deciding to be presented or not. We chose to be presented. After waiting a week, we were informed that, unfortunately, the birth mother chose another family. While we grieve our loss, we also rejoice for the other family. Who knows how long they have been waiting or what they have gone through!

It is through all of these things that I have been brought to the realization that joy is something you chose. No matter what is going on in your life; no matter what you are struggling through. You can choose to focus on God's love and plan for your life and live and rest in His love and peace. James tells us in James 1:2 to "Consider it PURE joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kids, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish it  work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." As I thought about that, it hit me. These trials are to help me become whole and complete in God, not lacking anything, but only if I choose to consider it pure joy. I can choose to consider it pure evil and be mad and unhappy and discontent, or I can choose to have faith in God and believe that His timing and ways are perfect. It's up to me and what I choose.

This is my encouragement to you, whoever you are and whatever you may be going through, God is not absent. He is there, and He has promised that all things work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. It might not make sense right now. Heck, it might never make sense while we are living on this earth. The thing to remember is that God's ways are so much higher and wiser than ours that we might not know until we are with Him. I don't know that then it will matter as much to us as it might now. I don't understand why God would put us in a little girl's life, with every indication that she was officially going to join our family, and then allow her to be taken away. I don't think I'll ever really know, but I believe that we were put in that situation for a reason. Maybe we were a testimony of God's love to her mother. Maybe we will minister to someone else who goes through something just like it. I don't know, but I do know that it happened for a reason. If you are going through something like this or need encouragement, I would love to pray for and with you. God is near to the brokenhearted, and we take such encouragement from that since we have had times of intense brokenhearted the past few years.

For now, we are busy with life, and looking forward to a trip back east in April! It looks like we will be going to Disney World for a few days as well (though Lydia has no idea), so we are very excited for that surprise! We can't begin to express the depth of love we have felt from you, our dear friends and family, as we have gone through these times. I hope and pray that we will have joyful news very soon, but until God's timing, we will be content to rest in Him.

With all our love,

Joe, Shiloh, and Lydia





No comments:

Post a Comment